What is it?
If you’re thinking “a façade since the world is controlled by just a few really rich sociopaths”, you’re probably thinking of democracy. But, DIMOCRACY (stylized all-lowercase, always, please) is a ITG tech simfile event that rewards you for making simfiles other people find really cool or fun. We’ve done this two years in a row now and even volunteer our time afterwards to make graphics and lowers and doubles for the winning files as well.
Nice! What does it cost to enter?
Nothing! $0. Just like being born! (wait…)
Are there prizes?
Yeah, I use the subs I get on Twitch + some of my own money to give away a bunch of cash.
To date, I have given out over $1,000.
This year, we’ll be doing the following for each round:
- 1st receives $50 + in the final pack!
- 2nd receives $30 + in the final pack!
- 3rd receives $20 + in the final pack!
- 4th makes it in the final pack!
- Wildcard! “dimo’s pick”! A special someone whose file I think was severely underrated by all other entrants makes it in the pack!
What’s the structure of the event?
There will be 10 rounds, each spanning roughly 3 weeks.
- Week 1: MAKE! Make a stepchart/simfile/map/whatever word you use for “Level design in StepMania 5” adhering to the constraints of the round.
- Week 2: VOTE! dimo does a sightread stream of every file in the round. Simultaneously, files of the round are released for voting.
- Week 3: AWARDS! Votes are due. We do an awards stream for who made it in the final pack and trade reviews/help each other get better!
What kinds of files should I write? Are mods allowed?
First of all, that’s two questions. Secondly, there are some new rules this year. Generally, files that do the best are some mish-mash of lots of tech and/or some mods. That is changing this year. Each human has one file per tournament they can add lua/attacks to. Other than that one file, you must stick to SM5 gimmicks only. You can also just enter one mod file one round and never enter again, also fine.
Sounds neat. How do I enter?
Join my Discord. It’s omid dot gg slash discord to join up. Everything happens there. You can choose to enter just one round or EVERY round or a FEW rounds! Drop in/out whenever, wherever.
Once you’re there, just check #tourney-info. Basic info at the bottom.
Round 1: Bideo James 🎮
- Start: 7/24/2022, 10:32 AM PT
- End: 7/31/2022, midnight PT
For submission and voting links, please see the Discord.
- Pick a real video game, that exists, definitely, definitely exists, that is NOT considered a rhythm/music game by any site/source like Wikipedia or other types of game publications.
- Find a song you like from that game! This will be the song you step.
- NO remixes. It must come from the game that exists.
- It can’t have CROSSED OVER (PUN INTENDED) into rhythm games. FOR EXAMPLE: MEGALOVANIA EXISTS in a REAL GAME that is NOT a rhythm game. HOWEVER, it ALSO EXISTS, in EVERY RHYTHM GAME EVER. DISQUALIFYING IT.
- One exception here: there are grassroots rhythm games like osu, stepmania, clone hero, etc etc that are not supported by any official gaming company/publisher/whatever. (so technically anything can be a song in those games)… those don’t count as “rhythm games”. PLEASE STOP MAKING THIS SO FUCKING COMPLICATED.
- If you submit a file with lua and/or attacks, you’re done for the dimocracy 2022 season!!